I went to my first LDS event tonight, a wedding reception held in the LDS church. And before I explain what I saw, I have to tell you overwhelming sadness I felt leaving that place. I was sad for the people, for the bride in particular. She was perfectly happy standing there in her modest gown, but she was doing just that. Standing in a line. For the whole 2 hour reception the family and bride and groom stood at the front of the room as people walked through to congratulate them. It's like the LDS lifestyle is so limiting it's unfair. I can't even see the value of the things they limit. Caffeine, any skin above the knee, any skin above the shoulder, a collarbone for crying out loud. One of the most amazing things about being a woman is being able to use small parts of my femininity to feel sexual or sensual or even just plain pretty. The church has gone to such lengths that it's almost painful for me to watch people experience less. It bothered me in Marshall that people were so rooted in that town that they would never leave, even on vacation. But here it's the religion that is limiting and the people are just plain brain-washed. I don't know how else to say it.
Let me explain why I felt sad for the bride. I know, as I was planning my wedding and reception, going to great lengths to make sure everything was beautiful and entertaining and memorable, I took pure joy in that this experience was one of a kind. Maybe some don't treasure it as much but looking back all I can see is how wonderful every single second was, even the stressful parts. The amazing part of being a Christian is free will. I don't feel confined to a box or held up to a standard or only allowed to do so much. I can have a religious ceremony anywhere on God's green earth and God will love it because we included Him. But this bride had to have hers in the temple, and that is the only way she wanted it. Which is fine, if thats what she wants, but who's idea was that? you know? Every other Molly Mormon did it that way, so what makes hers unique? Not only that but her mom couldn't be present for the ceremony in the temple because she wasn't up to date with her tithing, which they strictly enforce if you are active in the church and intend to do temple time, or whatever. Her Mom.
I have a laundry list of things I find disturbing about the LDS faith and it grows daily. It's not the people, the people are good. It's what they live for. If this faith and lifestyle is what you're rooted in, then what is it exactly that you believe? Why is it right? Have you ever EVER questioned it? Why can't you drink coffee? Why can't you show your thigh? Why can you wear a normal swimsuit but not a sleeveless shirt? Why are men who are 18 known as Elders? Why can't a kid go to college before he goes on his mission? Why does he have to go on a mission? Are those good reasons, are they reasons to keep your life so vanilla? I just want to shake them sometimes.
Perhaps I shouldn't be sad for the bride since this is her life. A cinnamon roll and hot chocolate wedding may have been her dream, but I don't think it was. I don't think she would have picked a short sleeve wedding gown if she could have picked any dress she wanted. I don't think she would have stood in one spot for the entire reception if she had the option of floating around to talk to people. These people are missing out on life for no good reason.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home